Bad hair days are no longer scary

because of my new hat....
I love hats and I have been wanting to make a certain style of hat for some time. I've sewn hats before but my interest has been rekindled as hats are more of an mainstream fashion accessory and acceptable where I work. I could see the practicality of using this fashion accessory for my work wardrobe. My mind started racing with infinite fabric and notion combinations to make unique hats. Initially, I thought I would just buy a hat pattern, but when I couldn't find exactly what I wanted I decided to draft my own.
This is my prototype, which I happily wore to work yesterday after stitching it together the evening before. I decided to use a plush upholstery fabric for my prototype because I knew the fabric wouldn't be too soft or too stiff for my design. The hat is lined with a drapery weight cotton to give a little extra shaping without stiffness. For the brim of the hat I used two different weights of interfacing. The medium weight fusible interfacing was bonded to the fabric that forms the underside of the brim. The heavy weight interfacing was sandwiched between the top and bottom fabrics of the brim and then top stitched in place.


Wooden buttons and top stitching add a simple finishing detail that doesn't compete with the napped fabric of the hat. My husband loved the hat and pointed out all the money I saved - from making my own pattern and then I told him that I also used fabric and notions that I bought at thrift sales. I ended up with a hat that's unique, fits properly and was economical. Some of the very reasons I love sewing!
Already I have been dreaming up more hats that will complement my work wardrobe. That way, I never need to fear another bad hair day as I head off to work. I only need to remember to keep the hat on - hat hair can be pretty scary! ;o)

Comments

  1. Looks fantastic! I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start!...I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! But where do you work that you're allowed to wear a hat?!! The only time I could get away with wearing a hat to work was when I was in chemo and had no hair. After that, you never term ANY day a bad hair day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Grief - what a great hat. You're very talented - love the style and the fabric works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to know where you work. Retail, maybe a clothing or accessories store? Entertainment, such as a dj or on tv? Hospitality industry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I can't believe you can just whip something like that up from scratch! It looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!

    This is great, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great hat! Enjoy dreaming up more designs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so talented! The hat looks gorgeous, Katherine...as do you, I miss seeing your face in person.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Gotta love the hat. You look marvelous, too. So chic, you city girl you! Like Heather, I am also missing seeing you in person.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're awesome!!!
    That turned out fantastic.
    The ones in the store never seem to fit me right, so I have very few (maybe one) hats.

    BTW, you look great in it. :)

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!