Always worth waiting for

Today was a day I look forward to all year long.  It was the annual Unused Fabric and Crafts Sale with all the proceeds going to charity.  I stumbled upon this sale within months of moving to this city and this marks my third time attending.  Knowing what to expect and having a game plan in mind,  this year I braved being amongst the crowd that gathered waiting for the doors to the sale to open.  Ready to see some sewing treasures? (I'll just share one of the shopping bags I filled and show more tomorrow).


Buttons were hard hit by the early morning crowd, I didn't get anywhere near them until things thinned out and by that time the box that had been stuffed to overflowing was down to about 6 baggies of buttons. I took two. ;o)


 Here are a few of my favourites - take a look at the prices on these.  Definitely vintage!


 Everything was pre-bundled this year, so it made pricing quicker and easier for the volunteers.  So I was grabbing up bags of sewing notions like buckles, self-cover buttons and vintage ric rac (I know Amy will tease me about buying more ric rac because there's no way I used up all that I bought last year... and here I am bringing home more!  How can I explain my penchant for ric rac.... ;o).


Next up,  I couldn't resist a big bag of elastic or one filled with ribbons and trims.


Finally, here's where I went a bit crazy in the notion section.  Want to guess how many zippers are in the basket?  As I mentioned, everything was pre-bundled this year - including zippers.  The past couple of years you could sort through them individually, which I really liked.  This year the zippers were sealed into baggies with 10 zips to a bag and the colours were mixed.   Knowing that zippers are one notion I use quite a lot of, I tried to find baggies that had some basic coloured zips.  The price is so fantastic for zips that it wasn't until I got home that I counted up all the baggies of zippers I had stuffed into my shopping bag.  Would you believe that I grabbed 13!?  Yeah, so that means I just added 130 assorted zippers to my stash in one go, for the grand sum of $13.  Now you know one of the reasons I look forward to this sale each year.  Come back tomorrow and I'll show you a few more reasons. ;o)

Comments

  1. WOW! That's so amazing that you got so much for so little!! I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful event!! No wonder that you looked forward to that day.

    It must have been like walking right into a BIG treasure. :))

    Have a lovely day, Katherine. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok first let me say this... It's been another year already!? This sale is like a child...I can't believe another year has passed! Didn't you just go last year?! WOW! And no teasing from me! I love all your finds you lucky girl! I want to see 130 zipper prjects this year though! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW... you sure did find some great stuff. I can see why you look forward to that sale each year. It would be great if we had something similiar here. There aren't many things/events that I'd stand in line for, but that would be one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fantastic! Coming back tomorrow to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks like so much fun! just 3 blocks down the street from my is the local church thrift store. They often have "left overs" when a resident of town needs to downsize and moving in to assisted living. Lots of loved items. I often bring back what I have created so that the little old ladies that work there can see what I've made with my found treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!