WIP Wednesday - Petal Power

My crazy love for using pink and orange together seems to be in full bloom at the moment.  I think it must have something to do with all the fresh fruit I keep buying at the farmer's market each weekend.  We've been eating box after box of  ripe peaches and nectarines the past month and (coincidentally???) those same fresh fruit colours keep popping up in my sewing room. ;o) 
 


My latest creation uses a part of a design from a pattern found in a Fons & Porter "For the Love of Quilting" magazine issued back in the late '90's.  The design incorporates machine stitching (the petals and background pieces between them are all sewn by machine) along with hand applique (for the circle in the center and placing the flower onto a background block). I used freezer paper templates to cut out all the pieces to make this flower block, which worked wonderfully.  I love the accuracy it gave in the cutting and marking, but will admit I don't see myself making a quilt using this flower block anytime soon.  It was a bit too fiddly and time consuming for me.

 
Quilting on this project is now finished and I had fun using some 12wt thread to stitch in the ditch, outlining the flower petals and then switching to 50wt thread for the center. Today's task is burying threads (my least favourite part of the whole process).  Now tell me, what are you working on, today?

Comments

  1. Well, this morning I felt like working on something simple and stress-free, so I made 2 Christmas bibs :D Then I made a Bendy Bag (birthday gift). I was going to work on one more Bendy but the doorbell rang and my services as a stuffy doctor were required, as my little sweetie neighbour girl (4)'s monkey needed brain surgery! I just finished Miss Monkey but his momma isn't home to pick her up, so she's going to hang out with me for a while :D Tonight I'm making another Bendy - it's already cut out and kitted. I don't usually get this much done in a day but I had some deadlines so I put pedal to the metal :D

    How big is your flower block? If you don't want to use it for a center medallion, perhaps it would work well as the main panel for a tote or a pillow? It's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and that would be *her* momma, not *his* momma :D

      Delete
  2. Wow! It had to be hard to sew! Wonderful, Katherine :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why you don't see another one in the future... we can see the hours you must have spend... But it his beautiful, can't wait to see the final project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the way it looks. I'm working on quilts for Project Linus today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!